Vijay Samuel's Blog

Archive for August 2010

As Google Summer of Code 2010 comes to an end my work of re factoring the commandline options and configuration file processing system using boost::program_options also is nearing the grand finale which would probably mean the complete removal of my_getopt which was used to solve the above stated purpose. Over the past couple of weeks I have been working on innodb, embedded_innodb and the kernel, the three huge patches which were left.

I had stated in my last post that the two engines were in the process of being merged into trunk and I again state in this post “the two engines are in the process of being merged”. One may ask why I has taken so long to get it into trunk, which is a very logical question to ask. The answer to that is “MEMORY LEAKS”. I had failed to free memory after using strdup() causing performance deterioration. Most people would have got a good laugh out of that. 😛 :P. Some more copy/paste errors seemed to prove how idiotic I can be at times. 😉

With all that aside Monty and I dived into the kernel with high hopes of getting the job done within the next release which is tomorrow constantly being supervised by my mentor Brian. I helped lay the basic ground work for the kernel patch. I removed the last my_long_options from the kernel, did the required operations to assign the variables their required defaults, performed limit checks and block_size corrections with almost 30 notifier() ( :O :O Lot of copy/paste involved in that process :P).

Monty is now working on making the kernel patch usable. The kernel is too complex for me to handle the entire patch by myself. I really hope that he completes the patch before the release. 🙂 I ve really had a wonderful time working with such wonderful people. I ‘ve been blogging as a summer intern for the past three months. My next post will probably be as a permanent developer of Drizzle. Thank you guys! Cheers!

Its been more than a month since i started working on re factoring the plugin system in order to support the new option processing system which uses boost::program_options. I ‘ve had tonnes of help from Monty Taylor who had worked on the interface. I ‘ve also had constant help from Brian Aker. I ‘ve slowly but surely re factored the entire command line and the last of the re factored plugins are getting ready to be merged into trunk.

Monty has already described to the Drizzle community the changes that the new system has incorporated but I feel that it is my duty to put the changes up as well. The new system does not support underscores unless it has been specified explicitly by the developer. All options are now of the form –plugin-name.option-name=value. One bug that has come up because of my work is that the options that take values such as 1M can no longer take such values, instead they take values in multiples of 1024*1024 but I will be fixing this issue when I work on the kernel. (YAY! 🙂 🙂 )

One issue that concerns me is that when I worked on the plugin system it came to my notice that most of the plugins are either very poorly tested or not tested at all. So this message goes out to all the Drizzle Plugin Devs across the globe, “Please test the plugins!!!”.  I guess that I will be done with working with the kernel by the end of the week and then it will be “Ba Bye my_getopt!!!” ( 😛 🙂 I guess most devs will be see that day come!)


My Timeline

August 2010
M T W T F S S
« Jul   Oct »
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  

I, Me and Myself

My Blog Stats

  • 6,257 hits

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 4 other followers